sbs: Punk Rock Ist Nicht Tot

Monday, April 1, 2013

Punk Rock Ist Nicht Tot




Punk rock and grunge are absolutely back in style. 

Brilliant designer Dame Vivienne Westwood, the self-proclamed "only punk left," had a major interview and spread in Harper's Bazaar this month. Courtney Love is speaking out about grunge style saying that Marc Jacobs "never got it right" during his exalted days creating grimy plaid looks for Perry Ellis. Kurt Cobain's last lover said she liked Hedi Slimane's (of Saint Laurent) interpretation instead. 

I'm a big fan of hard rock and rebellious perspectives. Needless to say, I'm loving this punk revival. 

Some of fashion's most recent punk offerings bring me back to my middle school days when I shopped at Torrid (back when it was actually punk-ish) and Hot Topic. I owned a particularly embarrassing pair of hot pink baggy pants with a really metal chain hanging from them. Why my mother allowed me to buy those and then proceed to wear them to picture day in 7th grade, I will never know.


These days, I'm coveting less bold punk statement pieces and looking toward more subtle punk-inspired additions for summer. I'm updating my all-black uniform with tartan accents and long, straight hair styles. I'm looking to buy some Doc Martens and would love to add more silver, spiked, and beveled jewelry pieces to my collection.

To borrow a few words from Eddie Argo's (lead singer of Art Brut) "St. Pauli" lyrics, "Punk rock ist nicht tot." Eddie's completely right; punk rock is not dead. It's absolutely here to stay.



Are you loving the punk revival? Leave me a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment