sbs: curvy is not a curse

Thursday, July 11, 2013

curvy is not a curse

curvy national mall woman in target shorts plus size fashion model guess wedges washington dc national monuments jefferson memorial college student howard university fashion blogger


I never talk about body image or weight issues (not even with friends, but I've been asked to contribute to an e-book on body image, and it really got me thinking. If I can share my story and advice and help other women, I'm happy to do it. 

I know that a lot of curvy women, myself included, have a lot of self-conscious conversations with themselves when getting dressed in the morning. Everyone deals with self-doubt; it's a part of being human. I’ve struggled with my weight my entire life. I’ve never been the skinny girl in class; not even in elementary school. When you’re teased and made fun of in school, you get used to being abused. You start to believe that you have brought it on yourself, and that maybe you deserve to be mistreated because you’re fat, you’re ugly, or you’re not as thin as someone else. 

I’m here to tell you right now that if you feel that way, you shouldn’t. Please, please KNOW that you don’t deserve to be mistreated. You are a human being. You are beautiful. You deserve to be loved. I love myself, and when you see yourself as beautiful, that love shines through. Many women limit themselves and undermine their own love lives because they don’t think they’re “good enough” or have a “hot enough” body to date certain guys. I’ve never let my curves define me. I’ve dated guys who have modeled, I’ve dated extremely athletic guys whose bodies are in tip-top shape, and they’ve all accepted me for who I am. I honestly think it's because it’s because they see that beauty shine through; confidence is the sexiest thing a woman can ever wear. 

The most important thing in life is being able to love yourself, and love your flaws fully. It comes with age and experience, but eventually at some point you really stop caring what other people might think you look like. If you think you look beautiful, then that’s all that matters. You become a MUCH happier person when you believe you are amazing just how you are. 

You have to be able to embrace who you are, what you look like, and the things you love, and say, "Okay, this is me, and I'm absolutely GORGEOUS today.” Put your best foot forward and wear whatever makes you feel happy and sexy regardless of what anyone else thinks. And if you’re not completely comfortable with how you look right now, then you should fake it until you make it! The best thing you can do for yourself and for your emotional health is to stay positive and stop comparing yourself to others. Be confident, love selflessly, and be you.

Have you struggled with self image? Did this post bring up any grade school memories? Leave a comment below.

4 comments:

  1. You are absolutely beautiful the way you are. Inside and out! There can never be too many positive posts in this world. Thank you Lindsay for this amazingly touching article. And yes I shall remain anon. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, anon! I'm glad you liked the post!

      Delete
  2. I love this girl! I'm glad you shared this! I've been sharing lately how I've struggled with body image and an eating disorder as an adolescent. For a long time I hated looking in the mirror and I thought I was ugly! I had to force myself to love me! It started off as me faking being overly confident, but in time I became what I was pretending. Now I have to remind myself daily that I'm beautiful even if I don't look like so and so! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started out absolutely the same way! It takes time and constant work. Self-love is a struggle, but it's a battle worth fighting. Thanks for the encouragement, Taylor!

      Delete