sbs: Now Playing: Hummingbird

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Now Playing: Hummingbird


This week, I'm completely living for Hummingbird, the sophomore release from my favorite band, Local Natives. I'm going crazy for it.

I didn't like the album at first, but the more I listen to it, the more I appreciate its intricacies. The album was written after the band split with one of their founding band members and the passing of lead vocalist Kelcey Ayer's mother. It was a sad, but reflective time for the band, and I'm glad they chose to share those reflections with their fans.


The album is wistful and powerful. The strongest tracks on the album are "Black Balloons," "Black Spot," "Three Months," and "Colombia" (written for Ayer's mother). If upbeat is more your thing, check out the album's first single, "Breakers" (video above). It mimics the laid back So-Cal style of the band's first album, Gorilla Manor.

I can't wait to see Local Natives perform this album live at the 9:30 Club on April 6 in D.C. Give the track above a listen, and let me know what you think!

What songs are you inspired by this week? Leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment